At the Autumn Court on 11th November 2016, the Guildry of Stirling was presented with its own Coat of Arms.
The following photos depict Dean Robin Iffla DL receiving the Arms from Elizabeth A. Roads, LVO, Snawdoun Herald of Arms.
The Reverend Alan Miller B.A. M.A. B.D Guildry Chaplain then gave a suitable blessing.
Following the presentation Guild Brother Elizabeth gave an excellent talk and description on the “Coat of Arms” to the Court which was warmly received.
The illustration shown below of the coat of arms as presented to the Guildry:
Coat of Arms Description
The colours are those of the Guildry Green. The Bridge represents “Stirling Bridge” and is taken from the arms of the Burgh which with the “reversed 4” identifies this as the Guildry of Stirling.The Crest showing a Tower and Unicorn represents the Royal Castle. The supporters of two Wolves recall Wolf’s Crag and they bear around their necks a representation of the Ring given to the Guildry by Kind David II.
Coat of Arms Full Text
The full text of the Coat of Arms is as follows:
TO ALL AND SUNDRY WHOM THESE PRESENTS DO OR MAY CONCERN,
We Joseph John Morrow, one of her Majesty’s Counsel Learned in the Law, Lord Lyon King of Arms, send Greetings: Whereas considering that under the Provisions of the Lyon King of Arms Act 1672, and others in that behalf made, We are empowered by virtue of Our Office of Lord Lyon King of Arms to visit the whole Arms borne and used within this Realm of Scotland and to distinguish them with congruent Differences and matriculate them in Our Books and Registers and, to give Arms to virtuous and well deserving Persons under Our Hand and Seal of Office; and whereas, Robin Iffla Dean of Guildry for and on behalf of THE GUILDRY OF STIRLING Guild Hall, Stirling having by Petition unto Us of date 2 December 2015 Shewn: THAT the said Guildry is a fully constituted association with a date of origin ascribed to 1119; THAT on his accession to the throne in 1124 King David 1 granted charters to the four Royal Burghs of which one was Stirling which charters granted the exclusive right of trade within the town; THAT by a Royal charter of 18 August 1226 King Alexander 11 granted “to the Burgesses of Strivelyn that they shall have a Merchant Gild, except the waulkers and weavers”, THAT a ring was gifted circa 1365 by King David 11 to the Guild in recognition of its privileges and right which ring is still in the possession of the Guild; THAT the Merchant Guildry protected the trading rights of the burgh and ensured that only burgesses of the burgh could engage in commerce and provided pensions and other financial assistance to the needy of Stirling; THAT in a return of June 1820 to the Select Committee of the House of Commons on Royal Burghs the Guildry was styled “The Royal Incorporation of the Guildry and Merchants of Stirling”; THAT following the Burgh Reform Act of 1833 and the Burgh Trading Act of 1846 the Guildry assumed its present form to safe guard and promote the historical traditions of the Guildry of Stirling and the City of Stirling and contribute to various aspects of the life of Stirling, including providing a contribution towards the building of the Albert Hall, THAT the Guildry is now governed in terms of a Trust Deed of date 15 August 1984; THAT for eight centuries the Guildry has maintained a role in the growth and development of Stirling, and that the Office of Dean ranks in degree immediately below that of Provost, AND the Petitioner having prayed that there might be granted unto him for an behalf of the Guildry of Stirling such Ensigns Armorial as might be found suitable and according to the Laws of Arms Know Ye Therefore that We have Devised and Do by These Present Assign, Ratify and Confirm unto the Petitioner for and on behalf of the Guildry of Stirling the following Ensigns Armorial, as depicted upon the margin hereof, and matriculated of even date with These Presents upon the 97th page of the 90th Volume of our Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland, viz:- Vert, an enarched bridge of seven arches Argent, in chief the reversed numeral 4 in baroque style Or. Above the Shield is placed an Helms suitable to an Incorporation (videlicet:- asallet Proper lined Guiles) with a Mantling Vert doubled Or, and on a Wreath of the Liveries is set for a Crest a tower Argent, masoned sable port Gules, issuant from the parapet a unicorn’s head Or, and in an Escrol over the same this Motto “FOR STRIVELYN”, on a compartment below the Shield are set for Supporters two wolves Or each gorged with a collar Vert from which is pendant a bezant fimbriated sable charged a jewelled cross of five stone Grules Vert, Sanguine, Purpure and Argent. In Testimony Whereof We have Subscribed These Presents and the Seal of Our Offices is affixed hereto at Edinburgh this 22nd day of August in the 65th Year of the Reign of Our Sovereign Lady Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her Other Realms and Territories, Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, and in the year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Sixteen.
Joseph John Morrow Lyon